Pages

Sunday 27 March 2011

Conversations About God: Day 2

I was apprehensive about today.


When I walked out for dinner, I didn't know who I was going to run into or which new person I was going to be sharing with dinner with. How exactly would I start the conversation?


The Friends
Once I walked into the University restaurant at LG1, I ran into several friends: Aaditya (who I met during my first few days at HKUST), Sarthak (a friend from Toastmasters) and Apple (a friend I met through another friend).


Upon seeing me, Apple welcomed me to join them and introduced me to other person sitting at the table - a Japanese student by the name of Atsushi who is studying Physics at UST.


We ordered food and I explained how I'd recently turned vegeterian. The conversation from there proceeded to the existence of God - and we had a fun, but intense, conversation about God.

Insights from Today
  • The more friends you have, the more friends you'll have. I ran into Apple through a mutual friend called Michael. And I ran into Atsushi because I knew Apple. So make an effort to expand your social network
  • Group settings where you know at least a few of the people in the group are easier than one on one situations because someone will always have something to say - and you won't run out of things to talk about.