Pages

Saturday 26 March 2011

Making Friends: The 365 Friends Project

  • Why is it that we Click with some people, and not with others?
  • Why is that we like one person, and not another?
  • What is it about some people that causes us to immediately feel comfortable with them?
365 Friends Project



A Little Background about the Project
I am passionate about communication. I spend most of time reading books about communication skills, public speaking, and interpersonal skills. I even write a widely-read blog, which you can read here [www.public-speaking-hong-kong.blogspot.com]

I am curious about why some people seem to immediately click with others (even with people whom they're just meeting for the first time) while most of struggle to get beyond a casual, "How are you doing?" 


My aim with the project over the next 365 days is to talk to 365 people [mostly complete strangers, and a few casual acquaintances] and try and establish rapport with them. You could consider this a personal experiment to figure out how to break the ice and start building a relationship with others - all within a matter of minutes.




What You Can Expect from the Project
Everyday, I'll strike up conversation with one complete stranger. You can read about the ice-breaking strategies I use and whether or not they work. You can read about how quickly we manage to achieve rapport - whether we 'click' - and gain my insights into why or why not. You can sign up to receive updates about this project by entering your email address in the box at the top right hand corner of this page. See what works, see what doesn't. Gain insight into how to connect with people. Humor yourself by watching me try and strike up conversation with 365 complete strangers.